I'm apologizing in advance, I did not take any decent pictures for this post today. Please don't let the lack of nice photography deter you from making this delicious recipe!
This soup is hearty, like one bowl and you're set hearty. One pot of this could give you soup for four plus another 4-6 servings for leftovers another day (or week!).
What you need:
-12 slices of bacon
-2/3 cup margarine
-2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 7 cups milk
-4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
-4 green onions, chopped
-1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-1 cup sour cream
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp pepper
*side note: I normally cook/drink 2% milk, however for dishes like this I prefer to buy whole milk.
What you need to do:
1. Cook bacon in a large deep skillet, over medium heat until browned. Drain, crumble and set aside.
2. In a stock pot or dutch oven, melt margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth.
3. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened.
4. Stir in potatoes and onions, bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
5. Reduce heat and simmer, 10 minutes.
6. Mix in bacon, cheese, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.